Vision Virginia Introductory Letter
August 11, 2010
We trust that our Lord is blessing your ministry. Rest assured that you are often in our prayers. We thank God for your partnership in the Gospel. You are making a difference for the Kingdom all the way from your neighborhood to the nations! Because of that, I ask that you take a few moments to read this vital letter.
The season for our State Missions Offering (SMO) is nearly upon us. There has never been a year when this offering has had greater importance than this year.
The SBCV faces financial challenges from three fronts. First, of course, is the sluggish national economy. All ministries are feeling its effects. Second, our decision to embrace the Vision 20/20 Report put us on a 10-year track to give an additional estimated $1.2 million to national and international mission causes. In order to do this, we have willingly chosen to retain 0.25% less of CP receipts per year. Third, the “Great Commission Resurgence” recommendations will result in the likely elimination of approximately $600,000 per year that we have customarily received from the North American Mission Board for church planting efforts in Virginia and DC. These three realities have driven us afresh to seek God’s provisions for the harvest.
We are taking steps to ensure that needed support for Kingdom expansion is available by bolstering our State Missions Offering in the following ways:
- Challenging every SBCV church to give to the State Missions Offering in 2010. Every congregation can give something. What a positive difference that would make!
- A new name and subtitle: Vision Virginia: Can You See It?
- A new timeframe for emphasizing the offering: October 10-17.
- A new goal that represents a significant increase over previous offerings. Reaching the $350,000 goal will be a great first step in addressing the shortfall created by the realities mentioned above.
- New, engaging promotional materials.
- Our missionaries are available to speak in your church. We want to thank you for what you have done in the past and encourage your church to greater heights in missions involvement in the future.
The Lord is calling us all to a fresh commitment to reach our world for Christ. Again, thank you for all that you do to help bring in the harvest, especially as you give to Vision Virginia.