Christmas Backpacks for Appalachian Children and International Church Plants
September – October 2018
ABOUT THE INITIATIVE:
Together, we can do more. That is certainly true this Christmas.
Our goal this year is 3,000 Christmas backpacks distributed to families in need in Appalachia and Virginia. Simply fill a new backpack with toys, clothing, candy and personal items. Your backpacks will go towards the regional Appalachian distribution as well as equipping SBCV church planters working with unreached people groups here in Virginia. The backpacks will be collected at regional sites through November 7 and then delivered to Annual Homecoming for distribution. See below for packing instructions.
Together, we can impact thousands of families with Gospel love as we remember the gift of Jesus.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE A BACKPACK:
What goes in the backpack?
- Toys | At least one “Wow!” item. | Small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, small music instruments, yo-yos, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, Slinky®, Frisbee®, card games, etc. Remember to include extra batteries for electronic items.
- Personal Items | Water bottle, lip balm, hairbrush, comb, ponytail holders, hair clips, watch, compact mirror, etc.
- Candy or Snacks | Pop-top items, hard candy, lollipops, mints, gum. Do not include chocolate and be sure to double bag all candy.
- Clothing | Winter clothing is always a good idea. Consider buying a size larger. Hats, gloves, coats, scarves, etc.
- Spiritual | Bible and age-appropriate books for children and teenagers.
IDEAS FOR OLDER KIDS (10-14):
- GIRLS | Lip gloss, costume jewelry, scarves, friendship bracelets, craft kits, journals, fun socks and slippers, doodle books, etc.
- BOYS | Legos®, card games, hand-held electronics, basketball, soccer ball, Nerf football, etc.
Your backpack may be the only Christmas present this child receives. It will be a witness of Christ’s love. As such, prepare your bag with new items only.
Gender and age will no longer be identified using labels. Instead, a colored yarn will be used to identify the intended recipient of a given backpack. Backpacks will need two pieces of yarn tied to it: one identifying the gender of the recipient and the other indicating age. Here is the breakdown:
- BOYS | blue
- GIRLS | pink
- 4-7 | yellow
- 8-10 | green
- 11-15 | red
In example, a bag packed for a five year old boy, would have a blue ribbon and a yellow ribbon.
The finishing touch of each backpack should be prayer. Ask God to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine through this act of love. (Ephesians 3) Ask the Lord of the harvest, to use this ministry to call children and families to himself. (Matthew 9)
Primary Collection Site:
2018 Annual Homecoming
November 11 – 13 at Libertylive.Church
A tractor-trailer will be on location ready to take the backpacks to the Appalachian Ministry area.
If your church is unable to attend Annual Homecoming, collection sites are available across the state for churches to bring backpacks no later than November 7th.
754 Germanna Hwy.
Culpeper, VA 22701
Office Hours: Mon. – Thur. | 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Contact: (540) 825-1549
8006 Centreville Rd
Manassas, VA 20111
Office Hours: Mon. – Fri. | 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
478 Ramoth Church Rd.
Stafford, VA 22554
CENTRAL WEST & SOUTHSIDE
2818 N. Main St.
Danville, VA 24520
11452 Wards Rd N
Rustburg, VA 24588
105 Garland Dr
Staunton, VA 24401
Office Hours: Mon. – Thurs. | 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
321 Marshall Ave, SW
Roanoke, VA 24016
Office Hours: Mon. – Thurs. | 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Fri. | 8:00 am – 2:00 pm
26396 Lee Hwy
Abingdon, VA 24211
129 Skyview Dr.
Fancy Gap, VA 24328
3110 Greenwood Ave.
Colonial Heights, VA 23834
435 Park Street Charlottesville, VA 22902
Office Hours: Mon. – Thurs. | 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Fri. | 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Dominion Place Office Park
4956 Dominion Blvd
Glen Allen, VA 23060
Will bring backpacks directly to Annual Homecoming.
Fullscreen version available HERE.
Share Your Church’s Participation:
Please let us know if you or your church participated in this project!
If you have additional questions, please call the SBC of Virginia office at (804) 270-1848.