First Responders Recognition
ABOUT THE INITIATIVE:
First responders are trained emergency response professionals such as police, firefighters, and emergency medical technicians. These community servants are critical to the safety and well-being of our communities. As Christians, we are commanded to be a people that love our neighbors (Matthew 22). In fact, it is the one marker that Jesus said would be our identifier (John 13). This month, let’s pull together and show palpable love to our first responder neighbors. And, as we do, may God provide the opportunity to sow the Gospel truth that we love because He first loved us (1 John 4).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
Below is a list of ideas to help you begin brainstorming your church’s community impact:
- Involve the children’s ministry of your church in making cards for first responders and deliver them to several local outposts.
- Bless a fire station with baked goods.
- Contact your community police, fire, and emergency stations and invite them to a free community dinner to thank them for their service.
- Plan a special Sunday to recognize first responders in your congregation. Publicize this ahead of time and ask them to bring their families for lunch after the service.
- Adopt an outpost and begin praying for those workers. Visit the outpost, perhaps with a sweet treat, and ask how your church can pray and support them.
Tell us your story! If your church mobilizes to minister to First Responders, please click below. We’d love to hear how you ministered to your community and how God worked as you served others.
Register Your Church’s Participation:
Please register or report your church’s participation in this project below.
If you have additional questions, please call the SBC of Virginia office at (804) 270-1848.