Military Appreciation Month
ABOUT THE INITIATIVE:
We would not enjoy many of the freedoms that we have today if it were not for the sacrifices of our military men and women. We can never show enough appreciation and gratitude to those serving our country. We encourage SBC of Virginia church members to express their gratitude in a tangible way to military members (active, reserve, guard, and retired).
Listed below are a few suggestions. We encourage you and your church to think of others. Our goal is that SBC of Virginia churches make a special effort in May to let those in our military know that we care and greatly appreciate their service.
For questions about how to minister to our military, or to find the chaplain nearest you, contact: CH (COL) J.D. Moore at email@example.com or 434-298-6106 (office).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
Some ways you might be able to express your appreciation are:
- Choose a Sunday to recognize military personnel and host a special luncheon. Publicize this in your community.
- Provide gift cards, childcare, or weekend getaways to returning military.
- Provide lunch for your local recruiting office.
- Find a local military base and provide care packages for the support personnel or spouses of troops who are serving overseas.
- Adopt one of the 22 chaplains in Virginia.
- Promote a National Guard Appreciation Day in your church.
- Promote Armed Services Week (beginning the second Saturday in May) and Armed Forces Day (May 19, 2018). Many events across our state take place on Armed Forces Day to honor Americans in uniform who served in times of war and peace. Let your church body know where some of these events are. A great way to educate children about the sacrifices that our military makes for us.