Thank you to all the volunteers that were able to be deployed recently to serve those impacted by the ice and snowstorms in Virginia. View an on-location video of Charlotte County response here.
As you know, last year we were not able to hold some of our scheduled in-person trainings due to COVID 19, but we are back on track for 2021. So, we have multiple trainings scheduled throughout the rest of the year. Below you will find descriptions and links for each of the trainings.
We want to invite you to attend the next Incident Management Team (ICS/IMT) training.
ICS/IMT TRAINING: For Credentialed Volunteers
April 15-16 (Thurs.- Fri.) • 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Staples Mill Road Baptist Church
10101 Staples Mill Rd, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Arrangements for overnight accommodations, if needed, must be made by attendees. The purpose of the training is to develop IMT’s to be prepared to respond to disasters in VA and across the nation.
This training provides an overview of the roles and responsibilities of an Incident Management Team (ICS/IMT). It includes suggested systems, tools, and best practices useful in managing an incident response. ICS stands for Incident Command System and is a FEMA adopted method for organizing a response to disaster but it is widely used in military, police, first responders and government agencies for all kinds of large scale efforts that require coordination between individuals, groups and agencies.
BASIC TRAINING: New Volunteers & Re-Credentialing
This training provides an overview of everything required to be deployed with a Disaster Relief team, including, Biblical foundations, evangelism, organizational protocols, and working as a member of chainsaw team, flood recovery team, and feeding team. This training can be taken in 3 ways:
- In-person at an SBCV local church
- Online for re-credentialing or for COVID-safety reasons
- Saturday portion of a statewide “Advanced DR Training Weekend” listed below:
- May 22, 8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. (lunch provided) • New Bridge Baptist Church, Sandston
- September 11, 8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. (lunch provided) • Location TBD
- October 16th, 8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. (lunch provided) • Wayne Hills Baptist Church, Waynesboro
You are invited to stay overnight on Friday evening at the host church if you need accommodations and/or would like take part in a mock deployment.
ADVANCED: For Credentialed Volunteers
In-person training will be conducted for lead cook, unit leader, and chainsaw operator. This is a two-day event, Friday evening through Saturday afternoon with the exception of the Incident Command Team (IMT) which will need to attend all day Friday and Saturday. Overnight stay at location required. $30/person for materials and meals. Click here for more information.
- May 21 – 22 (Fri. – Sat.) • New Bridge Baptist Church, Sandston
- September 10-11 (Fri. – Sat.) • TBD
- October 15-16 (Fri. – Sat.) • Wayne Hills Baptist Church, Waynesboro
CHAPLAINCY TRAINING: For credentialed volunteers
Being a volunteer chaplain to those who have experienced loss and pain is a rewarding ministry, but it can be very challenging because of the emotional and spiritual demands involved. In order to maintain a high standard of excellence while providing emotional and spiritual care and operate in accordance with expected standards of the disaster community, all SBCV DR volunteer chaplains will need to complete the following minimum training requirements:
Spiritual Care Provider (2-hour course)
Spiritual and Psychological First Aid (14-hour CISM course)
Emotional and Spiritual Care in Disasters (14-hour CISM course)
Assisting Individuals in Crisis (14-hour CISM course)
Southern Baptist Chaplain (8-hour course)
• April 22-23 (Thurs.- Fri.) AIC (Assisting Indiv. in Crisis) • SBC of Virginia Glen Allen Ministry Support Center
• May 21-22 (Fri. – Sat.) SBDR Basic Chaplain • New Bridge Baptist Church, Sandston
• Aug 19-20 (Thurs. – Fri.) Emotional & Spiritual Care • SBC of Virginia Glen Allen Ministry Support Center
• Sept 10-11 (Fri. – Sat.) SBDR Basic Chaplain • TBD
• Oct 15-16 (Fri. – Sat.) SBDR Basic Chaplain • Wayne Hills Baptist Church, Waynesboro
The host church will provide overnight accommodations for the SBDR Basic Chaplain Trainings which will give you a feel for ministering during deployment.
These trainings will prepare you to respond effectively to communities impacted by disasters. We hope to see you at one or more of them!
If you have any questions please feel free to email us at email@example.com.