For a tangible project to encourage a child waiting for their forever family, you are invited to create a “Blessing Bag” to be used by the Empty Chair Ministry – a Christian non-profit recently birthed out of a partnering convention church. The Empty Chair Ministry is dedicated to the care and advocacy of children awaiting permanency and adoption. A Blessing Bag, filled with specific comfort items, is for a child amid transition and in need of caring encouragement. Your gift of a Blessing Bag helps a child to feel – Not Alone.
PACK A BLESSING BAG WITH THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- A duffel bag (will be used to deliver items to the child)
- Small stuffed animal
- Throw or lap blanket
- Children’s Bible
- Inexpensive Mp3 player with headphones (preferably non-internet connected)
- Note of encouragement to a child. See the Note Writing Guidelines below.
Box the Items and Ship To:
The Empty Chair
Fellowship Community Church
1226 Red Lane Ext.
Salem, VA 24153
NOTE WRITING GUIDELINES:
The note does not need to be long. Short is best.
- Positive statement about the “Blessing Bag.” (I hope you enjoy the ________.)
- Point them to your favorite Bible verse. (In your new Bible, read __________. It is a favorite passage.)
- Closing. (Tell them you are praying for them.)
- Sign with just your first name. You may also include a location, but not an address. (Example: Sarah, Chesterfield VA)
Place the unsealed card in the “Blessing Bag” for delivery.
Do not include a personal address with the card.
If you’d like to learn more about Foster Care and Adoption, you are invited to the Foster Care and Adoption Summit.
The SBCV is partnering with the Christian Alliance for Orphans for the Summit. The CAFO page has educational and equipping resources for individuals, churches and families in the ministry of orphan care.
Free Promotional Resources:
Please report your church’s participation in this project below.
If you have additional questions, please call the SBC of Virginia office at (804) 270-1848.