The assistant director of kids ministries will report to the director of kids ministries and be responsible for coordinating a safe, comprehensive, Christ-centered, and Scripture-saturated kids ministry program for our preschoolers (babies–preK), emphasizing both the (pre)discipleship of preschoolers who regularly attend North Roanoke and outreach to new families through various outreach initiatives that include ministry to preschoolers. Additionally, the assistant director of kids ministries will support the director of kids ministries in creating new events, covering vacations, and in other ways as requested to support the overall Kids Ministry.
1. Helps communicate to our church that children are valued by providing preschoolers with instruction from God’s Word, nurturing them in love, and modeling the faith.
2. Cultivates a welcoming environment for preschool parents/caregivers that encourages family participation and helps facilitate a warm reception in the church.
3. Embraces the work of making disciples who make disciples by being Christ’s church, impacting the Roanoke Valley, and reaching the world and endeavors to begin cultivating these priorities in age-appropriate ways in the heart and minds of our preschoolers.
4. In cooperation with the director of kids ministries, establish ministry goals and objectives for preschool ministry, both short-term and long-term. Periodically review goals to determine status and make necessary changes, including eliminating goals/initiatives if necessary.
5. Implement best practices in preschool ministry and advocate for ongoing improvement in facilities, furnishings, equipment, teaching, and other activities.
1. With the pastor(s), nominating committee, the director, and other ministry leaders, recruit and equip an appropriate number of volunteers to appropriately staff all preschool programming.
2. Provide leadership and supervision to the preschool volunteers. Serve as a resource for volunteer service leaders.
3. In collaboration with the director of kids ministries, ensure that all aspects of preschool ministry are staffed.
4. In collaboration with the director of kids ministries, assist volunteer leaders in recruiting and training of volunteers to serve in their area(s) of responsibility.
5. In collaboration with the director of kids ministries, ensure that all preschool volunteers have completed a current background check prior to serving.
6. Ensure that preschool volunteers are equipped with curriculum, teaching aids, supplies, materials, etc. in a timely fashion.
7. Encourage preschool volunteers to nurture a warm, loving environment where Christ is glorified as King, the Scriptures are cherished and hidden in the hearts of children, and Christ-centered relationships are formed.
8. In conjunction with the director of kids ministries, train volunteers as needed.
1. Coordinates all programming and ministry for preschoolers (babies–preK), including Sunday mornings, Wednesday evenings (Spring and Fall Semesters), any summer programming, and other special events (e.g., Parents Night Out).
2. Coordinates a well-planned program of ministry that helps preschoolers to be introduced to Jesus and to know and cherish God’s Word.
3. Works with the pastor(s) and director of kids ministries to select a curriculum for each program and age level.
4. Ensures the preschoolers are (as much as possible based on age) inspired to treasure Jesus, know His Word, love and serve the church and their neighbor, and to desire to have a part in reaching people from all nations with the Gospel.
5. Works humbly and collaboratively with other staff members in areas where ministry opportunities overlap.
6. Works closely with the director of kids ministries to help facilitate a smooth transition from being in the preschool division to being in the children’s division of the kids ministry.
1. Assists the director of kids ministries with developing an annual ministry plan and corresponding budget to ensure that needed resources are available for submission to the lead pastor or his designee no later than September 30.
2. Manage the annual preschool budget responsibly.
3. In collaboration with the director of kids ministries, creates and maintains a positive, visible appearance for ministry to preschoolers by using any available means of communication, including the church website, the church app, various social media platforms, email, and etc. (it is okay to recruit and train a volunteer for this role).
4. Keeps director of kids ministries updated on all important and pertinent issues.
5. Attends staff meetings as requested.
6. Ensures that preschool classrooms and facilities reflect a safe and professional Christian environment.
7. Enforces necessary rules for safety, security, and ministry effectiveness in preschool.
8. Follows the check-in process for all kids ministry programming.
9. Communicates with the parents/guardians of new preschoolers who attend and preschoolers who have missed two or more weeks in a row (K-5).
10. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Skills
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
2. Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize the full suite of Office 365 products for scheduling, word processing, curriculum, etc.
3. Excellent communication and organizational skills are required
4. Participates in additional training, SBCV conventions/conferences, and continuing education as needed/requested and as the budget permits
5. Ability to manage programming (ordering/printing curriculum, etc.), and volunteers
6. Passion for Christ, His Word, the local church, and our neighbors and the nations
1. Born-again Christian who is a gifted, well-organized, and efficient teacher and administrator with a passion for helping children hide God’s Word in their heart, know and love Jesus and His church, and make Him known.
2. Agrees with the church’s statement of faith and core values for all ministry-related personnel.
3. Has a vibrant relationship with Jesus and expresses the characteristics of a person who is walking in the Spirit and growing in Christ.
4. Warm personality that connects well with children, parents/guardians, and volunteers.
5. A team player who follows well and leads well–a servant-leader who invests in and cares for preschool volunteers.
6. Possesses a can-do attitude and a strong work ethic, striving for excellence that honors God and inspires others.
• Preschoolers learn about Jesus in a safe, secure, Christ-honoring environment
• Parents are well-informed of what their preschooler has learned each week so they will have the information needed to build upon their child’s learning at home.
• Volunteers are appreciated, developed, and resourced (curriculum, special instructions, etc.) in a timely fashion.
• Jesus is presented as the hero of God’s story and, by age 5, kids are excited to know more about Him.
• The ministry grows, over time, in both the number of preschoolers participating and in its capacity for giving kids the spiritual tools necessary for knowing and walking with Jesus.
• This position is a part-time, salaried position with flexibility in scheduling except on Sundays and Wednesdays and during scheduled kids events throughout the year. While the salary is based upon a projected 20–25 hours/week, some weeks may require less time and others more (especially during weeks with a special event or during a week with a summer program).
• The assistant director of kids ministries will need to be available by phone, email, and text on Tuesday/Wednesday and Saturday/Sunday for unexpected/emergency call outs from preschool ministry volunteers (babies–preK) and for volunteers serving the entire kids ministry (babies–5th grade) when the director is sick or on vacation.
• On Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings and during other special/seasonal events, work will typically be with kids and kids ministry volunteers primarily in designated kids’ spaces in the church. However, some special events may include the use of the gym, back field, parking lot, and other spaces throughout the church.
• Graduate-level training in Bible/theology
• Experience teaching preschoolers/organizing a kids ministry/events/program
• Experienced in using social media
• Giftedness in graphic design, Google forms, web design, video, etc.
The director of kids ministries shall be responsible for day-to-day supervision.
• Must pass background check
• Must pass a drug test
• Compensation based upon experience (upper teens to 20s)
• Paid holidays, sick days, vacation days