The communications director is responsible for Hyland Heights Baptist Church’s internal and external communication strategies and branding. Using the available platforms and tools to connect unreached people from the community to the church, provide church members with opportunities for spiritual growth and engagement, and showcase the impact the church’s ministries are making on the church body and the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Communicate and work with ministry leaders to determine graphic design needs and produce related content
• Determine graphic design needs for Hyland Heights Baptist Church and produce related content
• Design web pages, logos, signs, books, advertisements, and other communication materials for Hyland Heights Baptist Church and subsequent ministries
• Develop and maintain the branding of Hyland Heights Baptist Church and subsequent ministries
• Determine the best media outlet mix for promotional strategies and develop content schedules accordingly
• Optimize advertising strategies for varying audiences and channels, including but not limited to the Hyland Heights Baptist Church website, app, social media platforms, and print media
• Communicate and work with ministry leaders and staff members to identify and facilitate promotional needs including but not limited to the creation and management of activity and event registrations in Planning Center.
Digital & Print Media
• Responsible for overseeing digital and print media strategy, planning, and implementation
• Produce or facilitate all digital and print media content for all media outlets
• Monitor analytics of Hyland Heights Baptist Church digital media outlets
• Establish design and promotion guidelines, standards, policies, and best practices for Hyland Heights Baptist Church
• Create, maintain, and improve the look, layout, features, and content of the Hyland Heights Baptist Church website, app, and social media platforms, making weekly updates
Assist with other responsibilities as assigned
• Must be in agreement with the HHBC Constitution and By-Laws and sign the Church Membership Covenant
• Must demonstrate the staff values of HHBC
• Must bear witness to a clear testimony of salvation and biblical baptism
• Must be committed to a growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, actively engaged in spiritual growth and discipleship with clear evidence of the Spirit in their life
• Must be able to work efficiently and effectively in a team setting or independently with above average grammatical (written and verbal communication) skills
• Must practice excellent time management and organization
• Must have excellent visual design skills
• Must have a good working knowledge of digital marketing, graphic design and web development tools (i.e., Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, Wix and all relevant social media platforms)
• Must have strong decision-making skills and excellent communication skills
• Having completed or be pursuing a degree in strategic communications or a related field is preferred or equivalent proven work experience in a similar role
This position engages with church volunteers and staff as well as others in the community. Certain times and seasons are high-stress and fast-paced, requiring a joyful demeanor that reflects a humble spirit and servant’s heart.
This position requires looking at a computer screen for long periods of time.
Confidentiality and Discretion
The communications director must maintain the confidentiality of personal church member information, as appropriate, which should only be discussed with pastors and church staff who need to know. Tact and discretion must be used in all dealings with church members and clients from the surrounding community to maintain a positive image of Hyland Heights Baptist Church and to represent our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ well.