We are seeking a man to serve Christ as a pastor for the entire church with an emphasis on reaching, raising up, training, and sending out students (grades 6–12) and their parents as disciples of Jesus Christ. We are seeking a man who is biblically-qualified (1 Timothy 3:1–7; Titus 1:5–9), who loves Christ and His Word, loves his wife and family, loves students and their families, and has a passion for helping students during the critical years between 6th–12th grades to develop a close walk with Christ and an understanding of what they believe, why they believe it, why it matters, and how to defend their faith when confronted with questions as they enter college, vocational school, or a career. We are seeking a man who is strong relationally and organizationally, a man who loves people, and a man who has a passion for teaching and preaching God’s Word as he pours his life into students and their families. This man will serve as a spiritual leader, role model, and equipper of students (and their families).
• Enthusiastically embrace the vision, mission, and values of North Roanoke Baptist Church.
• Agree with and endorse the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.
• Lead the coordination and facilitation of weekly student worship gatherings and teaching opportunities that provide both an environment for inviting friends and a time for getting the Word into the hearts and minds of students.
• Plan and lead camps, retreats, D-Nows, mission trips, and other special events that provide evangelistic opportunities for the unchurched and growth opportunities for believing students in our church family.
• Serve as the primary teacher during student worship gatherings
• Answer the major questions of/about the faith for students. Our students need to know the Bible and what they believe and why they believe it.
• Make disciples of students who become capable of/confident in making disciples of students
• Ensure the safety of our students – ensure that we have a background check on file for all workers/volunteers; ensure that students are not alone with only one adult volunteer, etc.
• Interview student candidates for baptism
• Develop and sustain regular communication with parents
• Recruit, train, and lead a team of adult volunteers who help invest in students’ lives
• Cultivate parental support and involvement in the student ministry
• Foster and encourage the growth of students through small group communities
• Help to integrate the student ministry into the overall life of the church
• Work with other pastors and ministerial staff to develop opportunities for intergenerational ministry
• Strive to establish a presence on local high school and middle school campuses to support current North Roanoke students and to reach other students in our community
• Develop, submit, and manage the annual student ministry budget and demonstrate financial responsibility
• Attend, participate in, and support “all-church events” and corporate worship services
• Participate in team meetings, retreats, and other staff functions
• Participate in church mission trips and encourage a passion for reaching others in our community and around the world
• Provide pastoral care as needed (weddings, funerals, visitation, and counseling)
• Demonstrate a can-do attitude and willingness to assume any other responsibility assigned by the Lead Pastor
• Students and parents grow as disciples of Jesus
• Students and parents learn how to make disciples
• As a result (of the outcomes above), the ministry grows in spiritual health and number
• Students are valued as a vitally important part of the body of Christ, not a future commodity
• Faith formation becomes the responsibility and delight of families, including parents, grandparents, extended family, godparents, and all those included in the family of God
• Families are given opportunities to worship, learn, have fellowship, and serve in the midst of cross-generational gatherings
• Families know God’s grace and love, and live life on purpose – to be used by God to fulfill Christ’s mission in their lives, work, and play
• Students graduate well-equipped to serve in the local church and to know what they believe and why
• Students also have fun and grow in their relationships with one another
• Preference for a completed MA or MDiv in Christian Theology (MDiv preferred but open to all applicants, and if degree is still in process, we are willing to work out a plan for degree completion if you are the right candidate for the job)
• Committed to being a disciple-making disciple of Jesus Christ
• Speak and lead from an authentic, growing faith in Jesus Christ
• An ability to identify and foster leadership in adults and students
• Ability to recruit, train, support, evaluate, and affirm others to teach students and families
• Skills in ministry oversight, planning, and implementation
• An attitude of flexibility and adaptability
• Professional work ethic and positive attitude
• Familiarity with the nine marks of a healthy church
• Team player
• Always learning
• Completed MDiv
• Technical ability/education/experience
• A passion for the local church and an ability to preach well
• Social media experience and ability
• Demonstrated strengths in evangelism and apologetics for teens
• Giftedness in graphic design, web design, video, etc.
• 2+ years experience in student ministry
This position requires great flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends. The position is a full-time, salaried position. While the salary is based upon a projected 40 hours/week, ministry is not confined to a 40-hour work week. Our full-time pastoral and ministerial staff often work more than 40 hours in a week to accommodate others’ schedules, hold leadership meetings, etc. If you do not have a strong work ethic and understanding of/appreciation for the demands of ministry, please do not apply.
• Compensation based upon experience
• Paid holidays, sick days, vacation days
The Lead Pastor shall be responsible for day-to-day supervision.
Please email a resume, cover letter, and (if available) a link to a past sermon/teaching opportunity to email@example.com.
$45,000+ (based on experience)