Fort Lewis Baptist Church is seeking a full-time pastor who will proclaim the Gospel in the church and in the community through his leadership, preaching/teaching, pastoral care, and active outreach. As Ephesians 4:12 proclaims, the pastor’s primary responsibility is to equip his church for ministry guided by the Word of God and the biblical doctrines of the church.
Since 1824, our church has been making connections with God, other believers, the community, and the unchurched. This is our mission statement. Our congregation is warm and welcoming, and our ministry is biblically based. We offer a Sunday worship service where we magnify God and receive instruction from His Word. We also offer small group Bible study for adults and children, community outreach and missions. Our preschool, after school, and summer programs for children are well known and respected in the community. Candidates must be in agreement with the beliefs stated in the Baptist Faith and Message and Fort Lewis Baptist Church.
Fort Lewis Baptist Church is located in the community of Glenvar in western Roanoke County, Virginia. Recognized for its scenic beauty, recreational and educational opportunities, the area is an ideal place to live, work, and raise a family. The Roanoke Valley region is home to over 300,000 people, making it the largest metropolitan area in Western Virginia and the heart of Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains.
The pastor shall utilize his skills in proclaiming the Gospel in the church and in the community. This will be accomplished through preaching/teaching, pastoral care, leading the church, and active outreach. The pastor’s primary responsibility (Ephesians 4:12) is to equip his church for ministry guided by the Word of God and the biblical doctrines of Fort Lewis Baptist Church (FLBC).
a. A clear testimony of born-again experience of faith in Jesus Christ.
b. The Pastor shall be in agreement with the beliefs stated in The Baptist Faith and Message and FLBC constitution.
c. Consistent spiritual and moral character and lifestyle, complying with the constitution of FLBC and the biblical leadership qualifications of a Pastor overseer described in Titus 1:59 and 1 Timothy 3:17.
d. Competent in leadership, management, and people skills.
e. Strong in biblical, expository preaching.
f. Ordained or eligible to be ordained within 3 months of hire.
g. Education in ministry is preferred.
h. Experience in ministry is preferred.
a. Ministry & Worship:
- Work with the music team and others to plan, coordinate and lead Congregation Services with a goal of “teaching them to obey all the God has commanded (Matthew 28:20).
- Work with the Deacon council in Pastoral Care activities to include but not be limited to visitation, counseling, care and prayer for members and prospective members who may be homebound, hospitalized or experiencing personal struggles.
- Pastoral duties shall also include conducting and/or supporting funerals, weddings, and baptisms in accordance with FLBC governing documents and the Baptist Faith and Message.
- Provide leadership for the observance of church ordinances and overall church programs.
- Join with the deacons in exercising spiritual oversight to plan, coordinate and lead Church Ministries and Special Services.
- He will maintain and enhance knowledge, skills, and abilities related to this position description through means of continuing education. The church will provide financial assistance for any approved means of continuing growth and education, which relate directly to their work as a pastor.
- He will maintain an ongoing group of those whom he is mentoring, discipling, and training in both doctrine and church leadership.
- He will lead the church, and actively participate himself, in community and world outreach through evangelism and missions.
- Oversee all paid employees and volunteers.
- Pastor shall be an ex officio member without voting privileges of all organizations, departments and committees.
- The Pastor is accountable, first and foremost, to God and His Word, and secondly to the Pastor’s Advisory Council (Elders) and the membership of FLBC.
- Connect with the staff of the church on a regular basis. Advise appropriate committees of any spiritual, financial, personnel, legal and business management issues that may need attention.
- Actively participate in Southern Baptist Convention activities/events and other groups that help advance the Kingdom of God and the mission of the church.
Commensurate with Education/Experience
4215 West Main St
Salem, VA 24153