River Church is a young, culturally diverse, theologically conservative church with a modern worship environment. We believe that God has called us to bring spiritual life to the spiritually dead in Madison Heights, Amherst County, and Central Virginia. In the beginning, we focused our efforts on inviting men ages 25-45 and their families into our church community located in a semi-urban city. After seeing much fruit with this demographic, we have expanded our reach towards ministering to people from various walks of life–college students, empty nesters, broken families, and retirees have all come to call River Church home, thanks to the power of the Gospel at work in our city.
Mission & Vision Statements:
As followers of Christ, we desire to gather for corporate worship, meet in groups for personal discipleship, use our gifts for Kingdom development, and give our resources and time for the Gospel ministry to those who are spiritually dead.
Our mission is to bring spiritual life to the spiritually dead in Madison Heights, Amherst County, and Central Virginia through the power of the Gospel.
The lead pastor is tasked with the primary theological oversight and shepherding of the church. Primarily, this responsibility exhibits itself through the oversight of the teaching team and the protection of the pulpit ministry at RCVA. Additionally, the lead pastor will consistently work with the administrative pastor to synthesize mission and vision into goals and direction. The lead pastor will serve as the chief elder to whom all other elders report. Must pass a background check.
● Must maintain a growing relationship with Christ.
● Must have healthy personal and interpersonal relationships and boundaries.
● Must be able to prioritize family over ministry efforts. Must have a teaching spirit.
● Must have the ability to train new leaders and delegate responsibility.
● Must have consistent communication skills.
● Must have the flexibility and humility required to work well with other leaders.
● Must pray daily for the mission, vision, and health of the church.
● Must maintain a mentorship relationship with someone further down the road in ministry.
● Must consistently practice spiritual disciplines.
● Must broadly adhere to the Baptist Faith and Message.
● Minimum of 5 years of ministry leadership experience.
● At a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in a ministry-related field is required.
● Must have a heart for outreach and community engagement.