About Nansemond River Baptist Church
Nansemond River Baptist Church is a multigenerational, Gospel-centered, elder-led congregation in Suffolk, VA. We are a church with a clear vision: “We exist to glorify God and exalt Jesus by reaching up through worship and prayer, reaching in through discipleship and fellowship, and reaching out through evangelism and ministry.” This statement guides everything we do as we seek to fulfill our mission of “Making Disciples that Make Disciples.”
We have 359 covenant members and typically see around 300 people present for worship on Sunday mornings. Over 90% of our weekly attendees are active in a small group. We have several ongoing community partnerships in our metro area and other ongoing mission partnerships, including a church we planted in Philadelphia, PA in 2018 and IMB missionaries sent from our church on assignment in East Africa. Nansemond River is associated with the Southern Baptist Convention, the SBC of Virginia, and The Pillar Network.
Nansemond River is strategically located in one of the fastest growing areas in the state of Virginia. We’ve created this new pastoral position in order to have someone on our elder team fully devoted to equipping our congregation in reaching the lost, engaging our community, assimilating people into the life of our church, and ensuring we have a robust adult discipleship ministry.
– Serve as a pastor/elder of the church.
– In conjunction with the other elders, develop and implement a comprehensive adult discipleship strategy that best fits the mission and vision of NRBC.
– In conjunction with the other elders and the community outreach team, develop and implement a comprehensive community outreach strategy that best fits the mission and vision of NRBC.
– In conjunction with the other elders and the deacon for Connect Ministries, develop and implement a comprehensive plan for guest follow-up and assimilation.
– Provide pastoral leadership, discipleship, and accountability for adult small group leaders.
– Work with other pastors and ministry team leaders to develop and maintain pathways to leadership development, service, church membership, and further engagement throughout the congregation.
– Provide pastoral leadership and support for Pray. Send. Go. Partnership and Community Partnership team leaders.
– In conjunction with Family Ministry Pastor, provide opportunities for parents of children and students to be equipped in making disciples within their homes.
– Equip, train, and resource church members, ministry teams, small groups, and the congregation to effectively reach out in our community.
– In conjunction with other elders, preach on Sunday morning in the Lead Pastor’s absence or other assigned times.
– Other pastoral responsibilities as assigned.
– Called and qualified man according to the standards set in 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
– Experience and/or education in one of the following areas is preferred: Evangelism, Missions, or Adult Discipleship.
– Spiritually gifted in one or more of the following is preferred: teaching, disciple-making, evangelism, or leadership.
– Ability to recruit, lead, and organize teams of volunteers.
– Team player who understands and will thrive within an elder-led congregation.
– Visit nansemondriver.com/careers and follow instructions to apply.
– Please only apply using the steps found at nansemondriver.com/careers. Applications submitted via other means will not be considered. Do not mail your résumé to the church or email it to any other staff members.
$55,000 – $65,000 with an additional comprehensive benefits package