• Biblical (and not to be superseded). The qualifications for a pastor are presented to the Body of Christ in Acts 20:28-32; I Timothy 3:1-7; 1 Timothy 5:17; Titus 1:5-9; I Peter 5:1-4.
o Crewe Baptist recognizes that the term “Pastor, “Elder” and “Bishop” all refer to the same position within the church and are equivalent to the term of overseer. This position denotes the spiritual leader of the local church and although we are looking for one man, that does not mean that the term Pastor (Elder, Bishop, etc.) could not at some future time be used by multiple men who are biblically qualified to teach and preach the Gospel.
o The Pastor serves under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the Church Body and both provides counsel to and receives counsel from the Deacons who serve the congregation.
o The Pastor is responsible for being a template for fellow believers, leading the church body as witnesses for Christ both locally and globally.
o The Pastor will guide Crewe Baptist as it functions as a New Testament Church:
§ Worship Leader-
• Sermons and providing and developing qualified men to preach the Good News.
§ Spiritual instruction
• Providing weekly instruction and developing qualified men and women to teach as is biblically appropriate.
§ Member Care
• Working with the body of believers to see to the needs of the membership with the understanding that the Pastor is not responsible for doing all the work, but for seeing that it is done and done properly (I Corinthians 14:40).
§ Ministry Oversight-
• Working with existing ministries to ensure a biblical direction is being followed
• Evaluating new ministries and providing insight and recommendations to the Deacon Board for all new ministries and programs
§ Church Staff-
o Oversee all aspects of interactions as related to all worship activities to ensure biblical compliance and that a peaceful Christ-centered focus is adhered to.
o Oversee daily general support and interactions with support staff, although specific oversight will rest with the church’s Personnel Committee.
• Plan and conduct worship services, developing Christ-centered expositional sermons.
• Plan with music leadership to provide theologically correct music worship with a blend of contemporary and traditional styles.
• Leads in the observance of ordinances.
• Leads the congregation in effective ministries to fulfill the Great Commission with vision, purpose and priority.
• Leads and demonstrates effective ways to witness and win the lost to salvation through Jesus Christ.
• Visits and ministers to members and prospective members in homes, nursing care facilities and hospitals with the assistance of the membership.
• Conducts counseling sessions within his scope of abilities.
• Performs wedding ceremonies and conducts funeral services.
• Works with Church Corporate Officers, Deacons and other key leadership to carry out the mission and purpose of the church.
• Cooperates with associational, state and denominational leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern.
• Serves to recommend and advise committees and teams as an ex-officio member, with ex-officio being construed to mean the ability to vote and act as any other committee member.
Educational and Experience
o A Master’s Degree in Divinity or similar field of study from an accredited seminary that theologically is in line with the beliefs of the Southern Baptist Convention/ Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia is desirable. A lesser degree in a similar field with the same faith beliefs listed above would also be considered.
o Preference will be given to candidate with 6-10+ years previous experience as a lead pastor in a similar sized church
Range 55K-85K depending on experience and abilities