· Biblical (and not to be superseded). The qualifications for a Pastor are presented to the Body of Christ in Acts 20:28-32; 1 Timothy 3:1-7; 1 Timothy 5:17; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4.
· Gwathmey Baptist Church recognizes that the term “Pastor, Elder and Bishop” all refer to the same position within the church and are equivalent to the term of Overseer.
· The Pastor serves under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the Church Body and both provides counsel to and receives counsel from the Deacons who serve the congregation.
· The Pastor will be responsible for being a template for fellow believers, leading the church body as witnesses for Jesus Christ both locally and globally in missions and evangelism.
· The Pastor will support the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) and fully endorse the Baptist Faith and Message Statement as written by the SBC (2000).
· The Pastor will be responsible for the preaching of the Gospel in Sunday morning Worship and teaching the truths of God’s Word in Wednesday night bible study.
· The Pastor will guide Gwathmey Baptist as it functions as a New Testament Church:
o Worship Leader / Spiritual Instruction
§ Preparing sermons, providing discipleship, and developing qualified men and women to teach and preach the Good News as is biblically appropriate.
o Member Care
§ Working with the body of believers to see to the needs of the membership with the understanding that the Pastor is not responsible for doing all the work, but for seeing that it is done and done properly (1 Corinthians 14:40).
o Ministry Oversight
§ Working with existing ministries to ensure biblical direction is being followed.
§ Evaluating new ministries and providing insight and recommendation to the Church Council and membership for all new ministries and programs.
o Church Staff
§ Ministerial – oversee all aspects of interactions as related to all worship activities to ensure biblical compliance and that a peaceful Christ-centered focus is adhered to.
§ Non-Ministerial – oversee daily general support interactions with support staff, although specific oversight will rest with the church’s Personnel Committee.
· Plans and conduct Worship services, developing Christ-centered expositional sermons.
· Plans with the Music ministry to provide theologically correct music worship with a blend of contemporary and traditional hymns.
· Leads in the observance of ordinances.
· Leads the congregation in effective ways to witness and fulfill the Great Commission with vision, purpose, and priority.
· Visits and ministers to members and prospective members in homes, nursing care facilities and hospitals with the assistance of the membership.
· Conducts counseling sessions within the scope of his abilities.
· Performs wedding ceremonies and conducts funeral services.
· Works with Church officers, Deacons, and other key leadership to carry out the mission and purpose of the church.
· Cooperates with associational, state, and denominational leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern.
· Serves to recommend and advise committees and teams as an ex-officio member, with ex-officio being construed to mean the ability to vote and act as any other committee member.
Educational and Experience
· A Master’s Degree in Divinity, or similar field of study from an accredited seminary that theologically is in line with the beliefs of the Southern Baptist Convention.
· Preference will be given to a candidate with 8+ years previous experience as the Senior/Lead Pastor in a similar sized church.
A benefits package will be offered. The Pastor’s salary and benefits package will be determined based on years of experience, educational preparation, cost of living, salaries of Pastors in churches of comparable size in the area and responsibilities detailed in this Pastoral search announcement. The package may include salary, housing, retirement benefits, insurance, ministry expense reimbursement and vacation time.