Union Baptist Church is seeking a full time Worship Minister to lead the choir and congregation in various worship services. UBC worship emphasizes a blend of traditional hymns (Baptist Hymnal) and contemporary praise songs in a multi-generational setting. We are looking for a full-time worship minister with a passion for God-centered blended worship and the ability to lead the church in worship as we enter a new season of restoration.
Weekly Attendance: 150
See Website for Video Introduction (What we are like, what we are looking for, and what it’s like on staff): http://unionbaptistchurch.net/worship-minister-position/
Union Baptist Church (UBC) is a multi-generational historic church with a long legacy of ministry in Gloucester Virginia. The church was the result of a preaching ministry in Gloucester that started in 1775 and resulted in Union’s founding along with another church in 1801. Over two centuries God has used Union to start 4 different churches in the area: First Morning Star Baptist Church, Providence Baptist Church, Gloucester Point Baptist Church, and White Marsh Baptist Church. The church remains an important landmark in the community and is one of the largest church facilities in the Peninsula. We are the starting point for the Guinea Jubilee parade and a well-attended fall fest. We also support the adjacent Achilles Elementary School with our kids snack pack program and have a very active food ministry for those in need. We have ample room for growth and opportunities all around us.
The church has been through many seasons in its long life. It once had a membership of 900 people in the late 1940s and for many years after averaged 400-500 people. Over the past decade, numbers declined to around 130 average Sunday attendance.
Union is now entering a new season with a young new pastor, Jared Berry, who came onboard in the beginning of November 2019. Attendance is slowly coming back up with a current weekly attendance of about 150 and new baptisms. Jared has a vision for 2020 as a year of “Preparing the Way for the Lord” to move and reach new people. This involves preparing spiritually, physically, organizationally, and in discipleship. By making the church more welcoming to young families, better unified in our focus, and renewed spiritually; Union is becoming ready to reach future generations with the Gospel. It’s a new season for the church and an exciting one. We need a minister of music who has the patience and vision to accomplish a kingdom work that will take years, not months.
• Demonstrated mature Christian faith and commitment to the worship of God and doctrinal agreement with the Baptist Faith & Message (2000)
• Must meet the qualifications of a Pastor / Elder as laid out in scripture
• Minimum of undergraduate degree in related field like music or bible
• Master’s degree and seminary training highly preferred
• *Creative media skills are highly preferred*
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in worship ministry (5 years preferred)
• Experience leading and developing a choir
• Ability to sing and read music
• Ability to play instrument(s)
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Leading worship
• Leading special events or holiday (Christmas and Easter) services
• Building up and training the choir and worship team
• Leading choir and worship team practices once a week
• Music selection, organization, in coordination with the Pastor
• Ministering to the worship team and church members
• Manage music ministry budget
• Oversee media presentation and creation
Based on qualifications and experience