Together, our SBC of Virginia churches partner with more than 45,000 churches in the Southern Baptist Convention. That’s more than 16 million Southern Baptists across the country.
Through our International Mission Board, we support almost 5,000 missionaries who are working to engage 6,700 unreached people groups around the world. There are more than 3,800 groups still unengaged.
Southern Baptists start more than 100 churches every month, yet many more are needed to reach the more than 258 million lost people in North America.
Six Southern Baptist seminaries train more than 13,000 future ministers and missionaries.
How the Cooperative Program Works
Individuals give to churches. Churches send a percentage on to the SBC of Virginia. The SBC of Virginia sends a percentage on to the SBC. The SBC distributes funds for maximum global impact.
1. The Bible tells us that God established giving as a means to provide for needs, support ministry, and protect His people. In faithfulness to the Scriptures, the members of our churches give tithes and offerings to support missions through our local churches.
2. Churches in the New Testament partnered together in missions and ministry. Following their example, our churches partner together with other Southern Baptists in order to accomplish more for the Kingdom than we could individually. One way our churches do this is by sending their contributions to the SBC of Virginia.
3. Each year, our churches meet together at the SBC of Virginia Annual Homecoming to agree on what missions and ministries we feel called to support with our combined resources. The SBC of Virginia distributes funds to support the ministries agreed upon.
4. More than half of all gifts are sent forward to support national and international missions through the Southern Baptist Convention, North American Mission Board, International Mission Board, Southern Baptist seminaries, and other ministries. The remainder is used for church planting, strengthening, evangelism, and missions right here in Virginia.
5. We call this system of partnership for Great Commission impact our Cooperative Program.