A first step to reaching the world in our communities (internationals who have come to the US) is to host or attend an English as a Second Language (ESL) Basic Training Workshop. These workshops are designed to equip your church to demonstrate the love of Christ, meet a need, and ultimately share the Gospel with internationals by helping them learn or improve their English skills.
An ESL workshop is usually held over two days and results in teacher certification through the North American Mission Board.
Topics covered at the 12-hour interactive workshop include:
- Organizing an ESL ministry
- Understanding a student’s English fluency and placement interview
- Planning lessons
- Introducing vocabulary
- Teaching pronunciation
- Dealing with cultural misunderstandings
- Incorporating biblical material into class sessions
- Sharing the Gospel with students
- Recommended resources
Interested? To find out more or to schedule a workshop, visit: sbcv.org/esl