Alexander Baptist Church, located in Chesapeake, VA, is seeking candidates for the position of Financial Secretary. This position is a full-time, salaried position. Work will be completed on- site at the church. Benefits include vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays. A complete description of benefits is included in the church’s Personnel, Policy, & Procedures Manual. For questions regarding the position, please contact Dr. Bryan J. Ray, Senior Pastor, at (757) 405-5572.
Principal Function - The Financial Secretary is responsible for all financial aspects of Alexander Baptist Church. Day to day operations of the Financial Secretary are under the direct supervision of the Senior Pastor.
Experience - The Financial Secretary must have and maintain core competencies related to the position and the day-to-day functioning of the church. Minimum qualifications include 3 years of both bookkeeping and QuickBooks experience. Experience working in a church office is highly desirable.
Expectations - The Financial Secretary must display a servant’s heart and Christ-like attitude at all times. The Financial Secretary is to maintain personal, spiritual, and professional growth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Prepare weekly payroll, provide employee pay stubs, and maintain individual employee records in current software.
· Schedule/submit monthly federal and state tax deposits.
· Prepare and file quarterly and annual federal and state payroll reports.
· Post all weekly contributions, write checks to pay incoming invoices, and maintain files on vendors.
· Reconcile bank statements on multiple accounts, update interest earned, and maintain balances for all bank/investment accounts.
· Prepare profit and loss statements and balance sheets for the Senior Pastor on a weekly basis.
· Prepare profit and loss statements and balance sheets for regular quarterly Church Family Meetings.
· Assist in budget meetings as needed and prepare proposed budget annually.
· Attend weekly staff meeting. Provide agenda and giving reports for attendees.
· Order, prepare, and distribute offering envelopes.
· Prepare contribution statements for contributors annually.
· Maintain financial software and payroll software. Store backups.
· Submit monthly giving to the Southern Baptist Convention of Virginia (SBCV).
· Assist Church Clerk with financial and contribution figures for reporting to SBCV.
· Prepare accounting of all endowment accounts per donor directives.
· Maintain and operate copiers, including providing general maintenance and ensuring supplies for copier are always available.
· Collect benevolence information and relay to deacons.
· Order flowers as needed for funerals.
· Assist Church Secretary by answering phones, greeting guests, and maintaining a pleasant, efficient office atmosphere.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior, and/or Associate Pastors and Ministry staff.
Serve as backup to the Church Secretary for the following duties:
· Prepare, schedule, and maintain the Church calendar of events.
· Set up and maintain the appointment schedule for Pastoral staff.
· Inventory and maintain adequate office supplies to include various types of paper for all publications and copy needs.
· Periodically review inactive membership with Pastoral staff.
· Reconcile membership records with Church Clerk, making sure all entries are correct.