Due to the retirement of our senior pastor after nearly 20 years of service, Lakewood Baptist Church is searching for a new senior pastor to lead our congregation.
Based upon our current needs and desires as a church and what we believe are the biblical qualifications of a Senior Pastor, our next pastor will meet the following qualifications:
• “Born Again” and demonstrates continued spiritual growth and maturity in his walk with the Lord
• Called of God into Christian ministry as a Pastor
• Be ordained into Christian ministry (SBC or like statement of faith)
• Support the Southern Baptist Convention
• Support Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia
• Fully endorse the Baptist Faith and Message Statement as written by the SBC (2000).
• Fully support the mission and vision statement of Lakewood Baptist Church
o Mission: To glorify God and to make His name known
o Vision Statement: Lakewood exists to bring glory to God by fulfilling the Great Commission, by making disciples who multiply the gospel, and by building Christ-centered community throughout the greater Lynchburg area.
• Have 5-10 years of experience in the ministry
• Hold a minimum of the Master of Divinity degree (M.Div.) from a SBC endorsed Seminary
• Pass a background check (criminal & financial)
The next pastor of Lakewood Baptist Church will have a ministry characterized by the following:
• Strong convictions and willingness to preach on doctrinal issues of faith and practice
• Able communicator from the pulpit teaching and preaching from the inerrant, infallible Word of God
• Ministry focus on evangelism, discipleship and spiritual growth for congregants
• Ministry focus on missions and world-wide outreach
• Positive attitude
• Ability and willingness to work with deacons, leadership and members of the congregation
• Ability to listen, inspire and motivate servants in the church to creative and active ministry
The next pastor of Lakewood Baptist Church will serve our church by fulfilling the following leadership roles in the church:
• Give pastoral oversight and direction to the various ministries and special outreach programs of the church.
o Worship/ Music
o Missions (local, state, national, & international)
• Give pastoral oversight and direction to the regularly scheduled worship services of the church
o Sunday Morning Worship
o Sunday Evening Worship (Currently on hold)
o Wednesday Evening Prayer and Bible Study
• Work with deacons in the leadership and care of the congregation
o Physical and Financial Needs
o Pastoral counseling
o Spiritual needs
• Give administrative oversight and leadership support in the day-to-day operations of ministries of the church:
o Sunday School/Educational/VBS
o Woman’s and Men’s Ministries
o College Age/Career
o Young Couples
o Children’s Ministry
o Son Rays (Sr. Adult Ministries)
o Widows Ministry
o Deep Discipleship Ministries
• Oversee the church office and hired staff.
o Present staff: church secretary and custodian and volunteer staff
o Associate Pastor: Open
o Praise and Worship Leader: P/T
o Youth Ministry: P/T
o Volunteer Media Staff
• Work with deacons, church leadership and other leaders in the church who are carrying out their spiritual gifts to accomplish and carry out the mission and purpose of the church.
• Work with all committees as ex-officio member to accomplish assigned tasks utilizing the spiritual gifts of people in the church:
o Music Committee
o Finance Committee
o Youth Committee
o Education Committee
o Nomination Committee
o Congregational Meetings
o God’s Storehouse (Community Pantry Outreach)
o And others as needed
• Provide pastoral care and counseling as needed or assign to an outside source
• Provide and or lead a team in providing discipleship training and developing spiritual leadership and maturity in the church.
The next pastor of Lakewood Baptist Church will demonstrate desirable moral and personal characteristics in his personal, professional and family life as he leads. He will demonstrate:
• Living a life above reproach
• Demonstrating Fruits of the Spirit
• Disciplined life
• Strong belief/faith system based on Scripture and Theology
• Loving caring attitude
• Shepherd’s heart
The next pastor of Lakewood Baptist Church will meet the Biblical qualifications of an Elder as taught in the following Scripture passages: I Tim. 3:2-7, Titus 1:5-9, I Peter 5:1-4 and various other passages as noted. Our pastor will demonstrate spiritual maturity and be a person of moral character as he performs his ministry in our church. (Note: As a committee, we understand that a pastor will not be perfect but will demonstrate by example and goal setting the following characteristics as a role model for those who are working with Him in the practice of the faith. Below is an elaboration on what we believe defines the character of a pastor.
A. Qualifications for eldership (Pastor) based on I Tim. 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9
1. Personal qualifications: The personal character habits of the elder.
a. “Temperate” Titus 1:8
b. “Sober”- “sober minded” I Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:8
c. “Not given to wine” I Tim. 3:3, Titus 1:7
d. “No striker” -being pugnacious I Tim. 3;3, Titus 1:7
e. “Not a brawler” -being gentle I Tim. 3:3
f. “Not greedy of filthy lucre” I Tim. 3:3, Titus 1:7
g. “Not a novice” I Tim. 3:6
h. “Not self-willed” – Titus 1:7
i. “Not soon angry” Titus 1:7
j. “Loving what is good” Titus 1:8
k. “Just” Titus 1:8
l. “Not covetous” I Tim. 3:3
m. “Vigilant” I Tim. 3:2
n. “Patient” I Tim. 3:3
o. “Holy” Titus 1:8
p. “Not double tongued” I Tim. 3:8
q. “Grave” I Tim 3:8
2. Public qualifications – The elder as viewed by the public, saved and
unsaved, inside and outside the church.
a. “Blameless” I Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:7
b. “Given to hospitality” I Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:8
c. “Good report of them which are without” I Tim. 3:7
d. “Good behavior” I Tim. 3:2
3. Family qualifications: The elder and his relationship to his family.
a. “Husband of one wife” I Tim. 3;2, Titus 1:6
b. Not divorced, preferably married
c. “Manages his own household well” I Tim. 3:4
d. “Children under control with dignity” I Tim. 3:4, Titus 1:6
e. Wife demonstrates godly characteristics (deacon) I Tim. 3:11
4. Ministry qualifications: The elder in relationship to his talents for ministry
a. “Apt to teach” I Tim. 3:2
b. “Holding fast the word of truth” Titus 1:9
c. “Exhort with sound doctrine” Titus 1:9
d. “Refute those who contradict” Titus 1:9
e. “Aspires to the office of overseer” I Tim. 3:1
The next pastor of Lakewood Baptist Church will carry out the responsibilities of a Pastor (Elder) as revealed in various Scriptures.
Biblical responsibilities (duties) of elders as they function in the church I Peter 5:1-4
A. Feed the flock of God: The elders are to teach the Word (I Peter 5:2, Tit. 1:9)
1. Peter exhorted the elders to shepherd (feed, protect, and lead) the flock.
2. I Tim. 5:17 Elders are to be “able to teach” – that is give instruction in doctrine.
3. Elders are to “hold fast” the Word of Truth, that is, defend the truth, not compromising the Scriptures. This includes teaching, counseling, refuting error.
4. Elders must be willing to give diligent and continuous preparation to his teaching.
B. To lead in the church by taking oversight of ministry operations and working with church deacons and other leadership. I Peter 5:1-4, Acts 15:6,22.
The first meeting of (first called “House of Prayer Mission”) Lakewood Baptist Church was held in February 1980 at the home of the late Ben and Effie Grogan with 34 in attendance. After a move from Leesville Road to Timberlake Road we constituted into a Southern Baptist church in July 1980 with 47 people as charter members. The current location was acquired in 1981 with expansion over the years to accommodate a 300 capacity sanctuary, an educational wing and Youth area. Outside facilities include a large pavilion as well as children’s play area.
Lakewood has a senior pastor (open), as well as, part-time administrative pastor (open), Part-time Youth Director, and part-time Music Director. We have one full time administrative assistant with many volunteers who staff the office. Five (5) deacons currently serve the congregation with a capacity for more according to our constitution.
One worship service is held on Sunday mornings with an average (before COVID) of 125/150 people in attendance. Our adult services include a Praise band and singers, as well as, an occasional choir worship assisting in the worship experience. In addition to our morning Worship we have an evening service and a Wednesday night Bible Study.
Lakewood provides a Sunday worship experience for our children through our Little Blessins’ (Jr. Kid’s) and Kid’s Church program. Each Wednesday night we offer Mission Friends for our older preschoolers using LifeWay Christian Resources and Olympians for our 1st-6th graders using the Word of Life literature.
The Men’s Ministry provides men of all ages an opportunity to connect through monthly Prayer Breakfasts. The fellowship and growth opportunities are evident with various leaders bringing devotions and testimonies.
Women 2 Women Ministry:
The Women’s ministry consists of women from many walks and stages of life. The ladies find opportunities for fellowship and spiritual growth through frequent events, bible studies and service projects. In Journey Sisters, our widows are able to connect with each other on a regular basis and also participate in studies designed especially to meet their needs. Our TLC
Ministry is designed to build spiritual mentorship with the younger ladies by sharing through prayer, discipleship, and life experiences. The Women’s Ministry also oversees the Benevolence Ministry, and gives ladies the opportunity to serve others in our church by providing meals to those in need.
Our Student Ministry includes those in 7th through 12th grades. Under the guidance of our Youth Director the students are taught to understand God’s Love for their lives and learn to grow in His knowledge. The ministry encompasses a variety of activities and always focuses on glorifying the Father while serving and learning.
The mission of the senior’s ministry is to exalt the Lord and meet the needs of our church family and community through spiritual growth, socially and emotionally. They met (pre-COVID) on a monthly basis with lunch and program.
College and Career Ministry:
Our College and Careers’ ministry encompasses a variety of activities centered around Spiritual growth. They meet on Sunday mornings through Sunday School as well as monthly activities.
God’s Store House Ministry:
GSH Ministry is to provide for clients physical and spiritual needs. Our mission is to glorify God, share the gospel of Jesus Christ, and provide a time of prayer with each individual client.
The ministry (pre-COVID) provided this full ministry to more than 27 families and since the COVID shutdown we have continued to provide food to these same clients with contact through technology and a distribution bin for a contactless pickup.
Sunday Mornings are focused on teaching and educating our membership through various classes. At this time we have three Adult Sunday School Classes, a College and Careers’ Class, and a Youth Sunday School Class. Our children’s Sunday School department consists of Nursery, Pre K/K, 1st-6 grade classes.
We support missions through the Cooperative Program and emphasize giving to the Annie Armstrong and Lottie Moon Offerings. We also support some individual missionaries through Sunday School classes and the Senior ministry.
Lakewood Baptist Church is located in the Piedmont region of Virginia at the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. It is a mere five miles west of Lynchburg City limits in an area providing numerous cultural, education, and business opportunities within Campbell County.
Campbell County is part of the Central Virginia regional makeup of Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell, and Bedford Counties and home to nearly 55,000 people and a well-established school system. These include four high schools, four middle schools, and five elementary schools along with a county-wide technical school. If you are seeking a private religious-centered curriculum, Timberlake Christian School and Liberty Christian Academy are nearby.
There are also five institutions of higher learning in the Lynchburg-Campbell County area led by Liberty University (15,000 students on campus and the largest Christian University in the United States), the University of Lynchburg (2,800 students), Randolph College, Virginia University, Virginia University of Lynchburg, and Central Virginia Community College.
Seventy-five percent of the people in Campbell County own their own homes with a median worth of nearly $180,000. Eighty-eight percent of the residents have high school diplomas, with twenty-five percent possessing college degrees. Nearly Eighty-nine percent of Campbell County residents live above the poverty level. (Statistics provided by 2019 US/VA Census)
Many job opportunities in Central Virginia can be found in telecommunications, medicine, nuclear engineering and manufacturing. Recently Lynchburg was chosen by the 2019 reviews.Org as one of the best places for “millennials to move to in the United States.”
From Lakewood Baptist Church, a person can reach Lynchburg Regional Airport within 10 minutes and the Train terminal within 20 minutes. Charlottesville, Roanoke, and Danville are just over an hour’s drive. Richmond, the state’s capitol, lies just 2 hours east and Washington, D.C. is just 3 hours north.
Interested candidates, as a first step in the pastoral search process should submit the following application materials by July 1 to:
Lakewood Baptist Church
2469 Sunburst Road
Evington, VA 24550
1. Letter of interest
2. Pastoral Call and Vitae (Profile Statement) Statement
3. Biographical Profile
If advanced to the second phase of our pastoral search, potential candidates will submit:
1. Audios and/or videos
2. Leading from Your strengths profile
3. Names and phone #/email addresses of 3 persons willing to be contacted who can give a Pastoral reference. The reference release form attached is required. You will be notified if the committee desires to contact your reference list.
4. Picture of you and/or your family.
Compensation Package: A benefits package will be offered. Salary commensurate with experience. The Deacon Board of Lakewood Baptist Church is responsible for the salary package of all church employees. The pastor’s salary and benefits package will be determined on the basis of years of experience, educational preparation, cost of living, salaries of pastors in other churches of comparable size in the area and responsibilities detailed in this pastoral search announcement. The package may include salary, housing, insurance, ministry expense reimbursement and vacation time.