10-week period anytime between January 1 and April 30
Deadline: November 1
Decision: November 15
10-week period anytime between May 1 and August 30
Deadline: March 1
Decision: March 15
10-week period anytime between September 1 and December 31
Deadline: July 1
Decision: July 15
- to strengthen local SBC of Virginia churches
- to equip future leaders in ministry
Requirements for interns:
- Interns must be young adults, at least one year past high school graduation, with a heart for ministry.
- Interns are to develop, lead and/or participate in the ongoing weekly programs of the church throughout their internship.
- Interns are encouraged to develop and multiply leaders that will continue the ministry once the internship is complete.
- Interns must complete Intern Orientation provided by the SBC of Virginia. Date and location to be announced.
- Interns are required to serve up to one week at one SBC of Virginia event as needed. Usually the intern can choose from one of several dates, but this is not guaranteed.
- Complete applications at the link above by the deadline under the term the church is seeking an intern.
- The grant is a maximum amount of $1500 (see church requirements below).
- Funds are limited and will be distributed based on the priority of need and are not guaranteed.
- Priority will be given to churches who give to Vision Virginia Mission Offering.
- The grant can be used for an internship serving in any ministry of the local church.
Responsibilities of participating churches:
- If accepted, the church is responsible for finding/interviewing/hiring their interns.
- The church must provide a job description and regular oversight/mentorship of the intern.
- The church is expected to pay $1000 to the intern, in addition to the grant from the SBC of Virginia.
- The church must provide lodging/host home for the intern.
- The church must reimburse the intern for all ministry-related expenses, including mileage.
- The church must complete and submit a detailed activity report at midterm and conclusion of internship.
- Churches will be notified if their application is accepted or declined within 2 weeks of the application deadline.
Looking for interns?
- Look from within your own church – consider college students, young adults, or those with part-time jobs.
- Seek referrals from local sister churches – see if they have one of the above interested in the ministry.
- Seek student profiles from the SBC of Virginia – Often students hear about our program and fill out a student profile on our website. Many times, we do not know them. Each church MUST be diligent in interviewing and doing background checks – including calling references. We will send out profiles to churches who request them.
Looking for intern profiles?
If you need assistance in finding an intern, you can request Intern Profiles from our office.
Students Seeking Internships
The SBC of Virginia encourages young people who are seeking experience to connect with ministries through an internship. An internship provides an opportunity for growth in experience.