ABOUT THE INITIATIVE:
You are not alone. It’s the central message of Christmas. God didn’t leave us alone in the poverty of our sin, but generously gave Jesus as an unmerited gift born of love. The Christmas season opens doors for Christians to tell this incredible story. Christmas backpacks provides one way that you, your family, small group and church can tell that story – the Good News – that God, Emmanuel, came to us.
2019 Goal: 4,000 Backpacks
1. Purchase a new, full-sized backpack that zips.
Draw-string and half-sized backpacks are not best. Look for back to school sales!
2. Fill the pack with new items that fit inside the zipped backpack.
Include at least one item from each of these categories:
- Toys | At least one “Wow!” item. | Small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, yo-yos, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, Slinky®, Frisbee®, card games, etc. Remember to include extra batteries for electronic items.
- Personal Items | Water bottle, lip balm, hairbrush, hair accessories, watch, compact mirror, etc.
- Candy or Snacks | Pop-top items, hard candy, lollipops, mints, gum. Do not include chocolate or anything with peanuts or peanut butter. Be sure to double bag all candy.
- Clothing | Winter clothing – hats, gloves, scarves, etc. – is always a good idea. Consider buying a size larger.
- Spiritual | Bible and age-appropriate books for children and teenagers.
3. Be sure items are age and contextually appropriate
Do not include: toys resembling weapons, items wrapped or taped to the bag, used items, homemade foods, glassware, melting candy (ex. Chocolate), battery operated items without extra batteries.
4. Identify the gender and age of the packed backpack
Tie two pieces of ribbon/yarn to the zipper of the backpack to identify the contents by gender and age.
- 2-3 | purple
- 4-7 | yellow
- 8-10 | green
- 11-14 | red
- 15-17 | white
- BOYS | blue
- GIRLS | pink
5. Pray for the child who will receive your backpack.
A gospel track will be placed in each backpack prior to distribution – pray it takes root in the child’s heart.
Primary Collection Site:
2019 Annual Homecoming
November 10 – 12 at First Baptist Church
If your church is unable to attend Annual Homecoming, collection sites (TBD) are available across the state for churches to bring backpacks no later than November 4th.
Please report your church’s participation in this project below.
If you have additional questions, please call the SBC of Virginia office at (804) 270-1848.